The results are now available from the 14th edition of the Decanter wine competition. What started out as a pretty big wine event has now grown into a logistical monster. This year they received more than 17,000 entries from 42 countries and there were hundreds of judges involved. Bob Campbell MW was the “Regional Chair” for New Zealand wines. The other Kiwi involved was Cameron Douglas MS.
From all these wines there were:
- 34 Platinum Best in Show
- 175 Platinum Best in Category
- 456 Gold Medals
- 3348 Silver Medals
- 7044 Bronze Medals.
There are some interesting categories for the top awards such as Best Spanish Fortified, Best Very Old Sherry, Best Value Mature Sherry, Best Mature Sherry, Best Sweet Sherry etc. etc.
Platinum awards for N.Z. wines are:
- Best N.Z. sparkling – Nautilus Cuvee Brut
- Best N.Z. Riesling – Saint Clair Block 9 Big John Riesling 2016
- Best N.Z. Sauvignon Blanc – Wairau River Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2016
- Best Value N.Z. Chardonnay – Te Pa Marlborough Chardonnay 2015
- Best N.Z. Chardonnay – Vidal Legacy Chardonnay 2015
- Best N.Z. Pinot Noir – Te Kairanga Runholder Pinot Noir 2015
- Best Value N.Z. Red Bordeaux Varietals – Koha Merlot Cabernet Franc 2015
- Best N.Z. Red Bordeaux Varietals – Villa Maria Reserve Merlot 2014
- Best Value N.Z. Red Rhone Varietals – Sileni The Peak Syrah 2014
- Best N.Z. Red Rhone Varietals – Rod McDonald Wines Quarter Acre Syrah 2015
- Best N.Z. Sweet Wine – Seifried Sweet Agnes Riesling 2016